You are here: Care Student Health Insurance > Living, Learning, Studying in Germany > After School > health insurance
Nach der Schule Krankenversicherung

Health insurance for the time after school

School over - and now?School over - and now?

You finally have your Abitur in your pocket and now you finally want to become self-employed. Then for the first time you'll have to deal with many issues that your parents have probably taken on so far - such as insurance. If you go to Germany after school, whether as an Au Pair, for Work & Travel. An internship or to a language school – you need health insurancehere. In Germany, it is sometimes also compulsory for foreigners, for example to apply for a visa or if you are studying here. Here we give you a brief overview of which health insurance you need for which project.

Health insurance in Germany as an au pairYou come to Germany as an au pair

health insurance in germanyAs an au-pair in Germany you need health insurance in any case. If you come from a country outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland), you usually need this to apply for the visa. But even if you come from the EU, we recommend that you take out health insurance for au-pairs, as the health insurance of your home country does not necessarily cover all costs for treatment in Germany or maybe important services are missing. In particular, insurance cover for visits to your home country or holidays outside Germany with your host family is often not guaranteed. Our special product Care Au-Pair offers you these services. In addition, we strongly recommend that you take out a liability insurance policy that covers damages, e.g. if you break a precious vase of your host family.

health insurance educational stay in germany language school, internship, work & TravelYou come to Germany for an educational stay - no matter whether language school, internship or Work & Travel

nach der schule nach deutschland KrankenversicherungSimilar to au pairs, you have to prove your health insurance when you travel to Germany on a visa. However, if you are from the EU/EEA/Switzerland, we also recommend that you use the special Care College product to insure yourself against illness, accidents or repatriation to your home country for the duration of your stay. If you are under 35, you can insure yourself quickly and conveniently directly online. In order to choose exactly the right insurance, you can enter your data in the tariff finder we will show you the suitable products and you can easily take out your insurance online.

health insurance studying abroad, semester abroadYou start studying in Germany

student in GermanyAs a student in Germany, you always need health insurance - regardless of whether you are staying in Germany for your entire studies or just coming for a semester abroad. When you enroll, you must prove that you have health insurance. You can either take out private health insurance or join a statutory health insurance. Our private insurance for students is more affordable than the statutory health insurance and offers better benefits with a deductible of 300 euros per year. If you are already over 30 or will soon be 30, private insurance is even more interesting for you. The statutory health insurance for students over 30 years costs about 150 Euro compared to the private health insurance for about 107 Euro.

Krankenversicherung für die Zeit nach dem AbiturFind the right health insurance

health insurance after school abroadFind your health insurance for students easily: Just enter some information about yourself in our tariff finder and you will find the right health insurance for students. Even if you're not yet a student and are a language student or work & travel student, we have the right health insurance for you. If you want to study later, you can easily switch to private or statutory health insurance. Tariff finder

Care Student Newsletter

You want exclusive information on living, learning and studying in Germany and worldwide? Then subscribe to our Care Student Newsletter!
Ms.  Mr. 

I hereby declare that I agree that the operator of the Care Student Portal, Care Concept AG, may regularly inform me via newsletter about information about living, learning and studying in Germany and worldwide. I can revoke this consent at any time.

Further information on the use of recipient data can be found in our data protection declaration at

Student exchange

Sauerkraut, cows, and Berlin. If that's your dream, do a student exchange year.

Language course in Gemany

Speaking of language skills: Have you ever thought about a language course in Germany?

Au pair

What better way to get to know German culture, learn German language and discover Germany than living in a host family in Germany as an au pair?


Gain work experience and get to know languages and Germany at the same time? That sounds good to you? Then why not do a Work'n'Travel in Germany?

Studentenversicherung ProduktfinderFind a suitable health insurance for students, interns, language students...

Where are you coming from? What's your destination? For how long? What's the reason for your stay abroad? How old are you?
Wo kommst du her?
What's your destination?
For how long?
What's the reason for your stay abroad?
How old are you?

facebook instagram linkedin