You are here: Care Student Health Insurance > Living, Learning, Studying in Germany > Students in Germany > Studies Enrollment

Enrollment in a university or college (matriculation)

In order to be able to study at a German university or college, you must first enroll or, in university language, "matriculate.“ As a rule, you do this at the student office/registration office of the university. When you enroll, you are registered in the university's matriculation register and thus become a member of the university.

University/college entrance qualificationUniversity/college entrance qualification

Prerequisite for enrollment The prerequisite for enrollment is a general university/college entrance qualification:

  • the general higher education entrance qualification (Hochschulreife, any subject can be studied),
  • the subject-related higher education entrance qualification (fachgebundene Hochschulreife, study in the corresponding subject area),
  • the university of applied sciences entrance qualification (Fachhochschulreife, entitles the holder to study at a university of applied sciences or in a multi-tiered course of study at a university);
  • the master craftsman’s examination (entitles the holder to study all subjects) or
  • qualifications comparable to the master craftsman's examination (entitles the holder to study all disciplines).

University/college entrance qualification for foreign studentsUniversity/college entrance qualification for foreign students

If you did not graduate from school in Germany, your high school diploma must be comparable to the German general higher education entrance qualification or the university of applied sciences entrance qualification in order to be able to study at a German university/university of applied sciences/college. You can find out whether your diploma is recognized for studying in Germany on the website of the Conference of Ministers of Education, Kultusministerkonferenz. If your diploma is not recognized, you have to register at a preparatory college (Studienkolleg) in order to begin your studies in Germany. Here you will be able to prepare linguistically as well as subject-wise for your studies at a German university/college.

De-registration"Exmatrikulation" – De-registration

The opposite of enrollment is de-registration, with which one leaves the university.

Health insurance and enrollmentHealth insurance and enrollment

Health insurance and enrollment

When enrolling, you must provide proof of your health insurance coverage. You can take out either private or public health insurance coverage. Our private insurance for students is more affordable than public health insurance for students and provides better benefits with a deductible of 300 euro per year. If you are already over 30 or will soon be 30, you should definitely take out private insurance because public health insurance for students over 30 costs approximately 150 euro, compared to approx. 107 euro for private health insurance.

If you take out private health insurance coverage with us, you will receive a certificate of insurance and exemption from mandatory public health insurance coverage within a few days of completing the application form. You can then enroll with these two documents. We can also offer you public health insurance coverage through DAK (Health Insurance Provider for German Employees).

It’s quite simple to find your student health insurance: just enter a few details about yourself in our plan finder, and you will be offered a student health insurance plan that suits your needs. Even if you are not yet a student and are, for example, a language school participant or Work & Travel participant, we have the right health insurance coverage for you.

Care Student Newsletter

You want exclusive information on living, learning and studying in Germany and worldwide? Then subscribe to our Care Student Newsletter!
Ms.  Mr. 

I hereby declare that I agree that the operator of the Care Student Portal, Care Concept AG, may regularly inform me via newsletter about information about living, learning and studying in Germany and worldwide. I can revoke this consent at any time.

Further information on the use of recipient data can be found in our data protection declaration at

Blocked account

You are entering Germany with a visa? Then you probably need a blocked account!

Summer course

Are you a student or doctoral student in Germany? In a summer course you can get to know the language, culture and nice people.


You're wondering how to finance your studies in Germany? We have a few helpful tips on how to financially secure yourself.

International Offices

If you have questions about the semester abroad in Germany or about recognition, IOs can help you.

Semester abroad in Germany

Speaking of language skills: Have you ever thought about a semester abroad in Germany? In this way you can get to know new things without wasting time.

TOP subject:
Health insurance for students in Germany

Probably you have dealt little with the topic of health insurance in Germany so far. No problem! We have compiled important information for you, e.g. when you need health insurance in Germany.

Studentenversicherung ProduktfinderFind a suitable health insurance for students, interns, language students...

Where are you coming from? What's your destination? For how long? What's the reason for your stay abroad? How old are you?
Wo kommst du her?
What's your destination?
For how long?
What's the reason for your stay abroad?
How old are you?

facebook instagram linkedin