You are here: Care Student health insurance > Living, Learning, Studying worldwide > language students > Holiday language courses
insurance language students

Health insurance

Health insurance for language students

Health insurance for language students A language course abroad is the perfect opportunity to combine cultural experiences with learning or improving a foreign language. Once you have chosen a country and a list of language school, there are a few things to organize:

The entry formalities, vaccinations if necessary and health insurance. Here are some important tips on the latter.

Do I need international health insurance?

If you are travelling outside of Europe, the answer is clearly "yes", because the German statutory health insurance funds do not usually pay for treatment in non-EU countries. Even if you are privately insured through your parents or have taken out an annual foreign health insurance policy, you have to be careful, because these insurances usually only cover stays abroad of up to eight weeks.

If you attend a language school within the EU, an additional international health insurance is also recommended, because the statutory health insurances usually only pay up to the amount that would have been incurred in Germany.

A return transport to Germany in the case of a serious accident or illness is not paid for by the statutory health insurance.

Is health insurance already included?

With many providers of language travel, the international health insurance is already included in the package or a provider is recommended to you by your language school. Even if this is the case with you, you should still inquire whether the price-performance ratio of the offer is right.

If your provider does not offer you health insurance, we recommend our Care College product, which is specially tailored to the needs of language students abroad.

What do I need to consider in the USA?

An important factor in choosing the right health insurance for students abroad is their destination. If, for example, you are going to the USA or Canada, attend a language course there, do a high school year or Work'n'Travel or study, you should take out a special product because in these countries the treatment costs are much higher than in Germany and the authorities set very high hurdles for foreign insurers.

We recommend our Care College USA product, which meets the requirements of all American and Canadian authorities and universities.

Do I need any other insurance?

In addition to foreign health insurance, we recommend taking out liability and accident insurance. This will cover you if you cause damage to other people or their property and if you have an accident and then have restrictions.
Here we offer our product unser Produkt Care Protector.

How do I find the right health insurance for language students?

If you are under the age of 35, we usually recommend our Care College product, which is specially designed for students. You can find the right health insurance for you quickly and easily by entering a few details in our rate finder. The rate finder will suggest different options for you to compare. Once you have made up your mind, you can easily take out your health insurance online on the Care Concept website.
We are also happy to answer your questions by phone at +49 228 97735-44.

Care Student Newsletter

You want exclusive information on living, learning and studying in Germany and worldwide? Then subscribe to our Care Student Newsletter!
Ms.  Mr. 

I hereby declare that I agree that the operator of the Care Student Portal, Care Concept AG, may regularly inform me via newsletter about information about living, learning and studying in Germany and worldwide. I can revoke this consent at any time.

Further information on the use of recipient data can be found in our data protection declaration at


Maybe you are not yet sure if and what you want to study. Then the Gap Year is the ideal solution for you. Gap Year means time-out...

Au pair

What better way to get to know other cultures, learn a language and discover the world than living in a host family as an au pair?

Work & Holiday

You want to experience a little adventure and don't know yet how to continue after your A-levels? Then take advantage of the countless working holiday opportunities


If you already know exactly where your future career should take you, you can jump straight into your studies.

Highschool Year

Baseball, cheerleaders, and endless highways. If that's your dream, do a high school year.

Studentenversicherung ProduktfinderFind a suitable health insurance for students, interns, language students...

Where are you coming from? What's your destination? For how long? What's the reason for your stay abroad? How old are you?
Wo kommst du her?
What's your destination?
For how long?
What's the reason for your stay abroad?
How old are you?

facebook instagram linkedin