You are here: Care Student health insurance > Living, Learning, Studying worldwide > After school > health insurance
Nach der Schule Krankenversicherung

Health insurance for the time after the Abitur

Health insurance for the time after the AbiturAbi - and now?

You've got your Abitur in your pocket and now the much-discussed "seriousness of life" begins. This also means that for the first time you have to deal with topics such as insurance. The most important of all insurances is of course the health insurance. In Germany it is even compulsory, but health insurance is also indispensable for high school graduates abroad and should definitely be included in your luggage. Here we give you a brief overview of which health insurance you need for which project.

You do an apprenticeship or a dual educationYou do an apprenticeship or a dual education

You do an apprenticeship or a dual education As an apprentice, you are compulsorily insured with the statutory health insurance (GKV) via your employer. However, you decide which statutory health insurance fund you want to be insured with. The contributions and benefits usually differ only slightly. You are also compulsorily insured in the dual training system, which combines study and training.

Health insurance for the time after the Abitur Gap-Year, Work&Travel, FSJ, Au-PairYou start studying in Germany

Abitur Health insurance You are under 25? Then everything stays the same and you can stay in the statutory or private insurance of your parents, the so-called family insurance.

However, your university or college requires proof every semester that you are still insured through your parents. Caution: When you turn 25, the family insurance ends automatically and you have to insure yourself legally. The statutory health insurance for students costs you about 90 to 100 Euro per month, including the compulsory nursing care insurance. The contributions increase significantly when you turn 30. Here you can expect around 150 euros per month. A private health insurance for students is therefore often the better alternative. It is not only cheaper, you also enjoy all the advantages of a private patient. We offer you the inexpensive and powerful private full insurance for students from 81.48 euros per month (incl. compulsory nursing care insurance). Would you still prefer to remain legally insured? We also offer you a solution for this.

You are going abroadYou are going abroad

Maybe you also decide for a Gap Year, i.e. you go abroad for a certain time to do a language course, work as an au pair, do a voluntary social year or travel (Work & Travel). Within the EU, your statutory health insurance covers the cost of treatment. However, the costs will only be covered up to the amount of the costs incurred in Germany. The difference has to be paid by yourself. If you travel to countries outside the EU, the German statutory health insurance does not usually cover the costs at all. Also a return transport to Germany is not covered. Therefore, it is important to take out an additional health insurance for your stay abroad. We offer you a solution for all your plans, e.g. the product Care College for language courses and Work & Travel.

health isnruance You start studying abroadYou start studying abroad

Abitur health insurance Studies If you are studying abroad, you need health insurance in any case. The rules vary from country to country. In some countries (e.g. Germany) you have to be legally insured as a student or you are automatically insured in the respective health insurance system. In other countries you can also insure yourself through a German health insurance for students, which is usually much cheaper. We offer our product Care College for a maximum of 5 years.

Staying in the USAStaying in the USA

Maybe you'd like to study in the USA, travel with Work & Travel through the land of unlimited possibilities or spend a high school year in the USA. There are special health insurance requirements and the cost of treatment is particularly high. In order to enroll at an American university and to obtain a visa, you must prove that you have health insurance. With Care College USA, we offer a product that meets the requirements of all US universities and the respective visas required (J1/J2, F1/F2).

Find your health insuranceFind your health insurance

health insurance To find the right health insurance for you, simply enter a few details in our rate finder at the bottom of the page and we will show you the right products that you can take out quickly and easily online. If you have any further questions, we will be happy to help you on the phone at +49 228 97735-44.

Care Student Newsletter

You want exclusive information on living, learning and studying in Germany and worldwide? Then subscribe to our Care Student Newsletter!
Ms.  Mr. 

I hereby declare that I agree that the operator of the Care Student Portal, Care Concept AG, may regularly inform me via newsletter about information about living, learning and studying in Germany and worldwide. I can revoke this consent at any time.

Further information on the use of recipient data can be found in our data protection declaration at

Highschool Year

Baseball, cheerleaders, and endless highways. If that's your dream, do a high school year.

Language course

Speaking of language skills: Have you ever thought about a language course?

Au pair

What better way to get to know other cultures, learn a language and discover the world than living in a host family as an au pair?


Gain work experience and get to know languages and the world at the same time? That sounds good to you? Then why not do a Work'n'Travel?

Freiwilliges Soziales Jahr

You don't feel like studying yet and Au-Pair, or Work'n'Travel is too boring for you? Then do a FSJ

Studentenversicherung ProduktfinderFind a suitable health insurance for students, interns, language students...

Where are you coming from? What's your destination? For how long? What's the reason for your stay abroad? How old are you?
Wo kommst du her?
What's your destination?
For how long?
What's the reason for your stay abroad?
How old are you?

facebook instagram linkedin