You are here: Care Student health insurance > Living, Learning, Studying worldwide > After school > Working Holiday
Nach der Schule in die Welt Working Holiday

Working Holiday - work experience, self-discovery and language learning abroad

The fact that foreign language skills are important key professional qualifications is no longer a secret. However, you don't learn a language really well at school or university, but abroad. Because here you are not only surrounded by native speakers, but you also get to know the culture behind the language live.

Especially interesting and popular is a Working Holiday, where you travel through an interesting country and finance yourself with jobs. Below you will find some food for thought about what you should consider:

Working Holiday and Work'n'Travel

Working Holiday has got its name from the different working visas of different countries. But what is the difference to Work'n'Travel? Working Holiday is the umbrella term for various trips abroad where you work on the side. This includes, for example, au-pairs and internships abroad. Work'n'Travel is only a part of the Working Holidays and refers to the jobbing with many short jobs besides the holidays. However, both terms are often used synonymously.

Which destination is right for you?

Which destination is right for you?In order to find the right destination, you first have to find out for yourself what the reason for your adventure should be, probably there are even several: You probably want to get to know the world and people again without any obligations or time constraints and pave the way for your future professional life. Would you like to start studying or do an internship in a foreign company? Your trip will certainly help you make the right decision. You certainly also want to improve your foreign language skills without having to swot.

Surely you know that many people travel to Australia or New Zealand after graduating from high school. The reason is not only the great landscape and culture, but also that both countries are great for working holidays. The local economy relies on entertaining employment of unskilled workers, which will make it easy for you to find jobs there.

But even if you want to learn Spanish or Chinese, there are ways and means to find jobs, because many agencies and temporary companies have recognized the need not only among travelers, but also companies have discovered the benefits of foreign workers.

Work'n TravelWhat should you think about before your Working Holiday and what decisions should you make?

Working Holiday OrganizationAfter you have found your destination, it's time to organize your trip:
You need a good starting point that offers you sufficient financial resources and the peace and quiet to take further steps. You should start planning well in advance, as you will also need to do some paperwork.

In order to stay in a foreign country outside the EU for a longer period of time and then work there, you need a visa. In New Zealand and Australia there is an extra Working Holiday Visa, which you can apply for online. Nevertheless, the application can take up to 6 weeks. The visa is then valid for exactly 1 year.
More about the Working Holiday Visa in Australia
and More about the Working Holiday Visa in New Zealand.

Anything else you need to think about:

  • Apply for an international driving licence
  • Get a credit card, because you won't get far abroad with a giro card.
  • Good luggage, like a good backpack.

Especially important for your trip is an international health insurance, because your statutory health insurance is only limited in the EU and not at all in the rest of the world. So you get your financial security and help if your health is not well. You can get them at a low price, for example with Care Global.

Finances Working HolidayFinances

Working Holiday FinancesSurely you are asking yourself how much money you should take with you and how much you have to pay for your flight and equipment. First of all, you should know that the Australian and New Zealand immigration authorities will occasionally check your visa application to see if you have enough money to get by without a job. This limit is currently 3,500 euros or 5,000 Australian dollars, which is quite a lot. Of course you don't have to spend it all.

In order to apply for a visa, you should also get a credit card, because you already need one to apply for your visa. There are also cheap credit cards without guide fees, but you should make sure that the term of payment, i.e. the period in which you do not have to pay interest, is longer than the next repayment and that you repay the full amount monthly so that you do not have to pay interest. Your flight will certainly cost you between 1000-2000 Euro, depending on when you book and fly.


At many Working Holidays, it is already clear before the trip which job you will take on if you are working as an au pair, doing an internship, or just finding an interesting job abroad for a year. However, if you are doing a Work'n'Travel, you will always have to find new jobs. You can find out what you have to consider here.
More about Work'n'Travel

Health insurance for the Working HolidayHealth insurance for the Working Holiday

Health insurance for the Working HolidayFor your Working Holiday it is best to take out an international health insurance. We have developed a special health insurance plan, the Care College, so that you are well covered when you are abroad.

Alternatively, we can offer you Care Global. The tariff can also be taken out if you are over 35 years old. It is also one of the very few tariffs that can be taken out if you are already abroad.

If you would like to start studying later, you can conveniently take out the low-cost and high-performance private full health insurance Care Student. We also offer you the opportunity to join a statutory health insurance fund.

Highschool Year

Baseball, cheerleaders, and endless highways. If that's your dream, do a high school year.


If you already know exactly where your future career should take you, you can jump straight into your studies.

Au pair

What better way to get to know other cultures, learn a language and discover the world than living in a host family as an au pair?

Freiwilliges Soziales Jahr

You don't feel like studying yet and Au-Pair, or Work'n'Travel is too boring for you? Then do a FSJ

TOP subject:
Health insurance for the time after school

Probably you have dealt little with the topic of health insurance so far. No problem! We have compiled important information for you, e.g. when you need international health insurance.

Care Student Newsletter

You want exclusive information on living, learning and studying in Germany and worldwide? Then subscribe to our Care Student Newsletter!
Ms.  Mr. 

I hereby declare that I agree that the operator of the Care Student Portal, Care Concept AG, may regularly inform me via newsletter about information about living, learning and studying in Germany and worldwide. I can revoke this consent at any time.

Further information on the use of recipient data can be found in our data protection declaration at

Studentenversicherung ProduktfinderFind a suitable health insurance for students, interns, language students...

Where are you coming from? What's your destination? For how long? What's the reason for your stay abroad? How old are you?
Wo kommst du her?
What's your destination?
For how long?
What's the reason for your stay abroad?
How old are you?

facebook instagram linkedin