You are here: Care Student health insurance > Living, Learning, Studying worldwide > After school > Work'n'Travel
After school Work'n'Travel

After school: Work'n' Travel - work experience, self-discovery and language learning abroad

The fact that foreign language skills are important key professional qualifications is no longer a secret. However, you don't learn a language really well at school or university, but abroad. Because here you are not only surrounded by native speakers, but you also get to know the culture behind the language live.

Especially interesting and popular is a Work'n'Travel, where you travel through an interesting country and finance yourself with small jobs. Below you will find some food for thought about what you should consider:

Work'n' Travel: Which destination is right for you?

Work'n Travel Which destination is right for you?In order to find the right destination, you first have to find out for yourself what the reason for your adventure should be, probably there are even several:
You probably want to get to know the world and people again without any obligations or time constraints and pave the way for your future professional life.
Would you like to start studying or do an internship in a foreign company? Your trip will certainly help you make the right decision. You certainly also want to improve your foreign language skills without having to swot.

Surely you know that many of them travel to Australia or New Zealand after their Abitur. The reason is not only the great scenery and culture, but also that both countries are great for work'n'travel. The local economy relies on entertaining hiring of unskilled workers, which will make it easy for you to find jobs there.

But even if you want to learn Spanish or Chinese, there are ways and means to find jobs, because many agencies and temporary companies have recognized the need not only among travelers, but also companies have discovered the benefits of foreign workers.

Work'n TravelWhat should you think about before your Work'n'Travel and what decisions should you make?

Work'n'Travel OrganizationAfter you have found your destination, it's time to organize your trip:
Of course, you shouldn't plan everything from the beginning, because the freedom of planning is one of the advantages of Work'n'Travel.

Nevertheless, you need a good starting point that offers you sufficient financial resources and the peace and quiet to take further steps. You should start planning early, because you also need to do some paperwork.

To stay in a foreign country for a longer period of time and then work there, you need a visa. In New Zealand and Australia there is an extra Work'n'Travel Visa, which you can apply for online. Nevertheless, the application can take up to 6 weeks. The visa is then valid for exactly 1 year. More about the Work'n Travel in Australia and More about the Work'n Travel Visa in New Zealand What else you have to think about:

  • Apply for an International Driving Licence
  • Get a credit card, because you won't get far abroad with a giro card.
  • Good luggage, like a good backpack.

Especially important for your trip is an international health insurance, because your statutory health insurance is only limited within the EU and not at all in the rest of the world. This will give you financial security and help if your health is not well. You can get them at a low price, for example with Care Global International Health Insurance.

Finances Work'n TravelWork'n'Travel: How to finance?

Work'n'Travel FinancesSurely you are asking yourself how much money you should take with you and how much you have to pay for your flight and equipment. First of all, you should know that the Australian and New Zealand immigration authorities will occasionally check your visa application to see if you have enough money to get by without a job. This limit is currently 3,500 euros or 5,000 Australian dollars, which is quite a lot. Of course you don't have to spend it all.

To apply for a visa you should also get a credit card, because you already need one to apply for your visa. There are also cheap credit cards without guide fees, but you should make sure that the payment period, i.e. the time you do not have to pay interest, is longer than the next repayment and that you repay the full amount monthly, so that you do not have to pay interest.

Your flight will certainly cost you between 1,000-2,000 euros, depending on when you book and fly.

Work'n Travel: Find a jobWork'n Travel: Find a job

Work'n Travel: Find a jobA great uncertainty for many backpackers is finding a job. In Australia and New Zealand this is not a big problem for you. The economy relies on short-time workers. Since your Working Holiday Visa only allows you to work for an employer for 6 months, you should concentrate on simple jobs where you don't have to be trained for long.

These include jobs as a fruit picker on farms, in bars and restaurants as a waiter, or possibly in smaller office jobs, or on construction sites. You should be aware, however, that you may need certificates for certain jobs. If you want to work as a bartender, for example, you need an RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol), which you can quickly get for about 24 Australian dollars in an online course, or a white card for jobs on a construction site.

The most effective ways to find a job are usually the simple ones: Maybe you'll create a short resume and distribute it to stores you'd like to work in, or you'll just talk to people directly. If you would like to find an office job and may already have work experience from your home country, you can also apply to job agencies, which are located in almost every city in Australia. For backpackers, there are even special working holiday hostels to help you find a job.

In other countries, such as the USA, it is a bit more difficult to find a job. You will need a job commitment when you apply for a visa. Here you should definitely look for a working holiday agency.

Health insurance for Work'n TravelHealth insurance for Work'n Travel

Health insurance for Work'n Travel

For your Working'n'Travel it is best to take out an international health insurance. We have developed a special health insurance plan, the Care College, so that you are well covered when you are abroad. If you want to start studying later, take out the low-cost and high-performing private full health insurance Care Student or join a statutory health insurance company. In both cases you've come to the right place!


Wenn du schon genau weißt, wo es beruflich später für dich hingehen soll, kannst du dich direkt ins Studium stürzen.

Language course

Speaking of language skills: Have you ever thought about a language course?

Au pair

What better way to get to know other cultures, learn a language and discover the world than living in a host family as an au pair?

Freiwilliges Soziales Jahr

You don't feel like studying yet and Au-Pair, or Work'n'Travel is too boring for you? Then do a FSJ

TOP subject:
Health insurance for the time after school

Probably you have dealt little with the topic of health insurance so far. No problem! We have compiled important information for you, e.g. when you need international health insurance.

Care Student Newsletter

You want exclusive information on living, learning and studying in Germany and worldwide? Then subscribe to our Care Student Newsletter!
Ms.  Mr. 

I hereby declare that I agree that the operator of the Care Student Portal, Care Concept AG, may regularly inform me via newsletter about information about living, learning and studying in Germany and worldwide. I can revoke this consent at any time.

Further information on the use of recipient data can be found in our data protection declaration at

Studentenversicherung ProduktfinderFind a suitable health insurance for students, interns, language students...

Where are you coming from? What's your destination? For how long? What's the reason for your stay abroad? How old are you?
Wo kommst du her?
What's your destination?
For how long?
What's the reason for your stay abroad?
How old are you?

facebook instagram linkedin